Heroes of Esperia is one of the best PvP events in AFK Arena, where players can fight against others to earn points, get to the higher ranks/divisions and compete for better rewards. This is a very challenging event that requires patience and strategic thinking to outshine your opponents.
I have to admit that I hate writing these guides, as it feels like I tell people what to do, like I know better. But anyway, I will keep updating this one and I recommend reading the full guide, as there is no simple recipe to succeed in HoE.
The upcoming Heroes of Esperia event will begin on 2021/6/30 00:00 UTC on the official AFK Arena server.
Heroes of Esperia Event Information
The Heroes of Esperia event uses the martial rating system:
- Martial Rating: All of a player’s hero ascension tiers will remain the same and start with a hero level of 240. Hero levels may be additionally increased, based upon the player’s Resonating Crystal level.
- Equipment: All hero gear (including unadorned parts ) are Mythic T1 and include Faction Bonuses but are un-enhanced. If a hero is already equipping Mythic T3 gear, their Hero Bonuses will be retained.
- Signature Items: All signature items and their abilities will be retained.
- Elder Tree: Players’ current Elder Tree levels and Virtue attributes will be retained, including all of their effects.
- Oak Inn Furniture: All the effects and abilities granted by a hero’s furniture are preserved.
- Artifacts: The effects of artifacts will not be retained.
- Unions: The effects of artifacts will not be retained.
- Bronze League is 1-vs-1 formation, Gold/Silver is 3, Diamond is 5, Legend is 7.
- As usual, you cannot use Dimensional heroes and the heroes linked with them simultaneously, even in different teams.
- Free to refresh opponents a couple of times per day. Afterward, it starts costing diamonds.
Every 1 Warrior class hero on the battlefield increases the Attack Rating of all heroes (including enemies) on the battlefield by 8% the first time their health falls below 50%. This effect can be stacked 5 times and lasts for 5 seconds.
Every 1 Tank class hero on the battlefield grants all heroes ( including enemies) a shield equal to 250% of their own Attack Ratings the first time their health falls below 50%. This shield can reach a maximum of 1250% of its own Attack Ratings and lasts for 5 seconds.
Every 1 Ranger class hero on the battlefield increases the Haste of all heroes (including enemies) by 10 points while their health is above 80%. This effect can reach a maximum of 50 points and last for the whole duration of the battle.
For every 1 Mage class hero on the battlefield, allied heroes (excluding the Ultimate ability caster) will receive 80 Energy points when an ally uses their Ultimate ability.
For every 1 Support class hero on the battlefield, each surviving ally will have their Health Regeneration increased by 15%, which can be increased up to a maximum of 75%. This effect will last for the whole duration of the battle.
Heroes of Esperia Best Tips and Tactics
I don't have amazing advice to give you for this event. Instead, I will try to avoid giving bad advice. In this event, there is an obscure co-dependency between attacking (where you have much more control and a winning advantage) and defending, where you are handicapped the opponents have control of the teams they use and the order.
In simple words, attacking at the wrong times, when other players also push to go higher may be a waste of time as you won't stay at your new rank for long.
But let's the tips in detail:
- Defending is super hard in this event and it requires a balance among your teams so that you will have a chance to win the majority of the fights or give your opponent a hard time trying to figure out the best team comps to beat you. They still have the advantage, especially if there is a battle power deficit, but testing people's patience can work wonders. I will explain defending in detail below but the idea is simple: Don't build one super team and two bad ones (for three-stage battles), Don't build two super teams and three bad ones (for five-stage battles), don't build three super teams and four really bad ones (for seven-stage battles). Try to make others put in the work to defeat you rather than breeze past you.
- Attacking is much simpler, just focus on beating the number of teams required to win the fight and put trash against the rest.
- Ideally, you don't want to attack during resets as a lot of players are active at the time as any gains will be negated by others' attacks towards you. Of course, this advice goes to waste if everyone follows it and since pretty much everyone agrees that this is the best tactic it's not a guaranteed success.
- Stack your tickets and use them at the end of the event, when the top players are already at the top and others may be fed up with the event.
- Don’t spend diamonds on refresh, just attack weaker opponents. It's much better to hoard tickets than spending diamonds on refreshes.
- Generally speaking, if you are a good defender try to climb as many divisions as you can for free and then stay low on the division you reach. Even if you are kicked out, the next day you will a chance to clear out the whole division and get to the low/middle of the next one.
Attacking and Defending in Heroes of Esperia
As an attacker, not only can you pick and choose fights to take advantage of faction counters and power differences. Focus on position and synergies, find the weakest links in opposing compositions and try to take them out first to take control of the fight.
Example: But your Athalia against the enemy Zolrath to take him out before he uses his special turns the tide of the entire fight.
- Attack players with fewer strong teams than required to win (1/3, 2/5, 3/7).
- Find the right tradeoff between battle power, faction advantage, and trophies obtained. I know it's hard but that's how the whole thing works here.
I guess the best way to describe defending is guerilla warfare and adding an element of surprise. The simplest way to explain this is that attackers will use a lot of default formations. You will expect to find Eironn in the middle of the backline, Ainz at the edge (or any other carry), durable characters at the front.
Try to counter this by altering the default positioning. It won't guarantee a win but a smart opponent will be force to tweak their team. Basically, your best chance is to hope that there are not many players that are both smart and patient.
Heroes of Esperia Formations and Team Building
I have already detailed the best team comps in AFK Arena, with a primary focus on PvE, although many of them work in PvP. But let me give you an example. Below you will find one of the most accessible team comps in AFK Arena, the Ainz Comp. This is a great team, but what happens when you have to build multiple teams for a fight? Let's assume a 5-stage battle.
When on the Attacking Side: Don't focus on building 5 good teams; try to build 1 excellent, 2 very good teams, and 2 bad ones, and reorder the teams accordingly. Your opponent will likely use a similar setup, so your very good teams will beat the 2 bad ones, and then you will rely on your excellent team to beat a tough fight. So, this emphasizes the tremendous advantage of reordering.
This is the strategy I use in Legends Championship so I can assure you it works, unless you are too bored to bother with reordering (I sometimes am).
When on the Defensive Side: And now the tricky part. When on the defensive side you are a sitting duck. If you use the 1-2-2 strategy on defense you will probably lose. So let's try something different. An example would be 1-4 (1 excellent team and 4 good ones). Needless to say all teams must have some kind of synergy, but the idea is to force your opponents to shuffle their to avoid wasting a free battle. Smart opponents will either leave or be patient to take you down, but a large part of player base, especially on lower ranks, won't even bother.
Now I'm not sure if 1-4 is ideal or 1-1-3 is preferable, but the concept here is that you have to find three or four very good comps that feature similar character pools and shuffle them to balance things out.
Here is what I do. Let's consider the first formation and a scenario of 5-stage battles; I will remove Lyca and Rowan from the team, because I want to use Lyca in a 5 Pull Team for instance and Rowan in Thoran's Cheese, because I need to win 3 fights.
Example Comp: Ainz Comp
The main challenge is getting Alna and Desira maxed out to watch this team at full advantage.
|SI +20||SI +30||SI +30, 9/9F||SI +20||SI +30|
|SI +30, 9/9F||SI +30||SI +30, 9/9F||SI +20||SI +30|
|SI +20||SI +30||SI +30, 9/9F||SI +30||SI +30|
What is Heroes of Esperia Event?
Heroes of Esperia is a PvP event in AFK Arena that follows a structure similar to Legends' Challenger Tournament and Legends' Championship.
There are six league divisions: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Master & Legend.
Each formation must contain at least one Hero.
To get a higher ranking in your division and get into a higher league, players need to earn more trophies. Higher leagues unlock better rewards.
Players can only challenge other players in the same league divisions.
The only exception are players in the Masters league can Challenge players in the Legends league, and if they win, they can get into the Legends league. Trophy counts do not get affected in this kind of matchup.
When a player in the Legends league defeats another one who has a higher ranking, they will immediately swap their positions. Those who have lower rankings will be exposed to getting defeated by players in the Masters league.
At the beginning of a new season, rankings are determined based on player combat ratings.
When getting into higher leagues, players will be required to submit more team formations for best-of-three, best-of-five, best-of-seven. That's when you reach the playoffs pretty much and both strategy and patience are crucial.
To manage the formations, press the Formation button on the Heroes of Esperia screen.
Heroes of Esperia Season Rewards
At the end of the season, players in each league division will receive the corresponding rewards, containing Hero Soulstones and Honor Experience.
Honor Experience can be used to raise a player’s honor level and unlock rewards such as avatar frames, etc. as shown below: